The guy next to me asked "Whats the score?"
I looked at him and wanted to yell "Go to hell"...but curbed my instincts. There was no point in showing my anger against the Sauravs, Kaifs, Kumbles and Zaheers on this poor guy. I just said "Donno Dude..but seems they are losing"
"Those f*****g B******s...cant they play like Aussies?"
Cricket. As long as I remember I have been watching this game and following it with passion. Even exam times never dented my enthusiasm for it and I ran for the scores rather than sticking to the clark tables.
Ever wondered why this game is so popular in our country?
Simple. Ours is a country which is starved of heroes (to be correct every jawan standing at the border is a hero). We have lost hope in everything..be it our political system..be it our politicians whom we voted for and who has his wife as CM (u-know-who)...be it our municipality who lays roads once in 5 years and they crack down in an year...everywhere we have lost hope. Perhaps we see a glimmer of hope only in our Cricket superstars. Alas...it blows out in a whisper.
Winning is a habit….and so is losing. When one loses chronically he loses his desire of winning and is no more ashamed of losing. Perhaps we are the ones affected by it. Admittedly Jayawardane USED to be a good batsman…I don’t think he even got past double figures let alone a fifty for the past few months (or is it years!!!). I thought that Russel Arnold was dead and they cremated him until I saw him on tv..and he gets a fifty.
We seem to be the best team to try the opponent’s debutants and they make merry. Most of the batsmen’s best scores are recorded versus India and most bowlers bowl their dream spells against us. If a guy is going through a lean patch and we tour there he finds his feet against us.
I have a few plans which if implemented may make these guys win. Here they go
1. Hence forth we will play only with UAE, Bangladesh (they also won against Aussies..so beware), WestIndies or Zimbabwe. These countries will be asked to bid for our tour and the highest bidder will win our visit. This way these people can be helped to rediscover some form and we can also earn loads of money.
2. Every player who benefits after our visit (like Jayawardane, Russel Arnold in this case) should contribute their series earnings to the Indian government as we have helped them consolidate their positions in the team for at least a few matches.
3. After our players come home losing a series (which they are doing now regularly) they should be made to pay all their advertisement earnings in that period to the Indian government or else they should pose for Nirodh or Family planning ads.
4. The discards from other countries can be given citizenship and imported. Like Bevan (can someone explain y he is not in the team), Klusener, Imran Nazir, Steve Waugh (old is gold!!), Stuart Mcgill can be given a chance to play for India.
5. After every loss the 11 players can be made to do squats with hands holding their ears (thoppukaranam thaan pa) and it should be telecasted live after the match. The bowlers should be made to do it the number of runs they conceded and batsmen with the number of runs they made minus 100. The wicketkeeper can be punished under the law of averages method.
Cant we play the way Aussies play ruthlessly or is it that we lack killer instinct? Why is India the only team which snatches defeat from the jaws of victory?
Hmmmm…btw…Whom do we play against next????